Skip to main content
Reasons for writing an annotated bibliography
- It demonstrates that you have read the literature on your topic.
- It proves that you understand said literature, which gives your own research some credibility.
- It gives you an overview of what scholars have already said your topic.
- Once you've established the things that have been said about your topic you can develop your own opinions on it.
- Once you've established what has or hasn't been said about your topic you can think of how your own research will contribute to the conversation that scholars are having about it.
- You're assisting other researchers by guiding them to sources that they can use too.
Additional reasons why we write annotated bibliographies